Before The Romance Started

Publisher: Zola Books

Publication Date: Jan 28th 2013

Page Numbers: 105 pages

Blurb

The end of the world didn’t happen overnight.

After years of societal breakdown, wars and quakes and rising tides, humanity was already near the edge. Then came a final blow no one could have expected: all the world’s corpses rising up to make more.

Born into this bleak and bloody landscape, twelve-year-old Julie struggles to hold on to hope as she and her parents drive across the wastelands of America, a nightmarish road trip in search of a new home.

Hungry, lost, and scared, sixteen-year-old Nora finds herself her brother’s sole guardian after her parents abandon them in the not-quite-empty ruins of Seattle.

And in the darkness of a forest, a dead man opens his eyes. Who is he? What is he? With no clues beyond a red tie and the letter “R,” he must unravel the mystery of his existence–right after he learns how to think, how to walk, and how to satisfy the monster howling in his belly...

What I Thought

This novella-length book claimed as the sequel of Warm Bodies, even though I found the line

"Isaac Marion is currently working on the sequel of the Warm Bodies"

There was R and Julie, of course. But the main characters were Nora Greene and his brother, Addis. I love these siblings relationship, I love how they strengthened each other. And the skeletons part in the ford was scary enough. This is the story when Julie finally met Nora, when R met M. This is the story before the romance started.

Opening Lines

A dead man lies near a river, and the forest watches him. Gold clouds drift across a warming pink sky. Crows dart through the trees—dark pines and cedars that hover over the dead man like morbid onlookers. In the deep, wild grass, small living things creep around the dead man’s face, eager to eat it and return it to the soil. Their faint clicks mingle with the rush of the wind and the screams of the birds and the roar of the river that will wash away his bones. Nature is hungry. It is ready to take back what the man stole from it by living.

But the dead man opens his eyes.

My review of Warm Bodies