SPOILER ALERT!

Publisher: Atria Books

Publication Date: Aug 12th 2014

Page Number: 400 pages

Blurb

Meet the Bird family. They live in a honey-colored house in a picture-perfect Cotswolds village, with rambling, unkempt gardens stretching beyond. Pragmatic Meg, dreamy Beth, and tow-headed twins Rory and Rhys all attend the village school and eat home-cooked meals together every night. Their father is a sweet gangly man named Colin, who still looks like a teenager with floppy hair and owlish, round-framed glasses. Their mother is a beautiful hippy named Lorelei, who exists entirely in the moment. And she makes every moment sparkle in her children's lives.

Then one Easter weekend, tragedy comes to call. The event is so devastating that, almost imperceptibly, it begins to tear the family apart. Years pass as the children become adults, find new relationships, and develop their own separate lives. Soon it seems as though they've never been a family at all. But then something happens that calls them back to the house they grew up in -- and to what really happened that Easter weekend so many years ago.

Told in gorgeous, insightful prose that delves deeply into the hearts and minds of its characters, The House We Grew Up In is the captivating story of one family's desire to restore long-forgotten peace and to unearth the many secrets hidden within the nooks and crannies of home.

What I Thought

I love other people's families. they always make me feel better about my own [Owen, page 123-124]

I love this book!! The characters are built so strong, the plot was well written and the story was so sad. Tons and tons of sadness and the twist of damaged feelings written in whole pages.

Problems always tested every family and the way they faced it, found solutions and moved on are interesting points to followed. So does this book. Birds Family lived as a dream-like family everybody ever wanted. They lived in a beautiful house, with a happy family....in the surface. A beautiful and full energy mum, Lorelei, a smiley ageless dad, Colin and their four children, Meghan, Bethan and the twin boys, Rory and Rhys. The family had a tradition to do eggs hunting every Easter and cooked the roasted lamb legs with less potatoes and too much carrots. It happened year by year until a bad thing arrived.

Lorelei has a Hoarding Disorder and she never threw anything, even the foil of the easter eggs. She believed that spirit of memories are keep in the things which would lost if we threw it out. It made their pretty house turned into a kind of junkyard. Meg frustrated about it and she felt she hated her mother. As a"revenge", she became a super mom with four children and very cleaned and organized house. Beth, as the younger sister has more charm connected with her look. But she actually lived in the shadow of her big sister and her mother, a coward and in the end, she turned as a self-hatred person. Rory was a charming and popular young lad until sixteen. After the thing happened to his twin brother, he became an anger, sad and uncontrolled, felt guilty for the rest of the story. Rhys, as the youngest in the family, is a typical of a loner, un-popular, careless and always grieved about everything. The story of each person in here are sad, yet beautiful, but I still can't take the relationship between Lorelei and Vicky, and also what Colin decision about Kayleigh (I think I'm not open minded person...whatever, I wish I could as wise as Molly).

I love the cover of this book!! It looked pretty and fragiled in the same time, same as the Birds family. This is my first Lisa Jewell's book and enjoy it! It made me want to read another book of her, hopefully I could find it somewhere :)

I think I want the next thing. I think I want to move on [Rory, page 124]

P.S: In his "escape" it mentioned that Rory visited Indonesia :) It was personal, but I always happy when my country mentioned in a novel

Opening Lines

Tuesday 2nd November 2010

Hi, Jim!

Well, I must say, I didn't think for a minute you'd be called something earthy like Jim!